Lee J. Osiason
Lee J. Osiason is a Partner and a founding member of the Global Wealth Management Group, where he focuses on U.S. and non-U.S./cross border taxation for individuals and business, including overall tax minimization, wealth structuring, business/entity structuring and estate planning; contentious and non-contentious trust, estate and probate administration; as well as U.S. tax compliance for U.S. and non-U.S. persons. He is a frequent lecturer on the subjects of U.S. and non-U.S./cross border estate and business tax planning and serves as an advisor to many prominent charitable organizations and financial institutions.
International Estate, Gift and Income Tax Planning: Preparation of custom designed international estate, gift and income tax planning strategies and documents to achieve maximum tax benefits while clearly setting forth a client’s personal wishes, including for example: Foreign trusts located in a variety of offshore jurisdictions integrated with offshore holding companies; Foreign life insurance trusts; Foreign Business Reorganizations; and inbound business structures and US Domestic Trusts for Foreign Persons.
Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Administration: Preparation of custom designed U.S. estate plans and documentation to achieve maximum tax benefits while clearly setting forth a client’s personal wishes, including, for example: Wills; Revocable Trusts; Insurance Trusts; Family Partnership Agreements; Sales to Grantor (“Tax Defective”) Trusts; Estate Asset Protection Planning; Generation Skipping Trusts; Qualified Terminable Interest Trusts; Qualified Domestic Trusts; Qualified Personal Residence Trusts; Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts; Children’s Trusts; Planning regarding Florida Taxes; and Special Needs Trust for disadvantaged beneficiaries to maintain qualification for Social Security, Medicaid and other programs; Probate and Trust Administration.
Corporate and Business Structuring, Tax Planning, Including Sophisticated Techniques to Protect Assets within both Business and Estate Plans: Sophisticated corporate, partnership, and business income tax planning and documentation, mergers and acquisitions, including the use of a wide variety of U.S. and foreign business entities custom selected to maximize the client’s tax, business and risk management objectives. Top down review of liability and risk regarding estate assets and business structures to compartmentalize and best manage and minimize risk.
Specialized Personal Service
Mr. Osiason frequently provides highly personalized services to high net worth families that typically involve creating an interdisciplinary group of advisors that provide a “team approach” to the development of a comprehensive wealth management structure to maximize family harmony, and long term preservation and growth of family assets. Mr. Osiason has utilized this “team approach” to: i. Address and resolve family conflicts both personal and corporate; ii. Divide and restructure highly complex estate plans; iii. Redirect investment goals and realization to generate long term cash flow and growth to meet estate objectives; iv. Create a protective shield for “special needs” clients to insure long term comprehensive personal management and protection; v. Tax planning for highly complex multi-national transactions.
Professional & Civic Activities; Honors & Recognitions
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Taxation (since 1988)
- AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings™, the highest rating possible indicating preeminent legal ability and professional ethics in Mr. Osiason’s areas of practice
- Current member and past Chair of the Florida Bar Tax Certification Committee
- Full Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Member of the Florida Bar Tax Section and Florida Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section
- President and Director of the Osiason Educational Foundation, Inc.
- Financial Vice President and Board Member of the GableStage theater
- Member of the University of Miami School of Education’s Visiting Committee
- Member of the University of Miami’s Planned Giving Council
- Member of the Archdiocese of Miami Planned Giving Council
- Board Member of the Coral Gables Community Foundation
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the University of Miami
- Trustee of Cancer Support Community Greater Miami f/k/a The Wellness Community-Greater Miami
- Founding executive officer and Board Member of the B'nai B'rith Bench and Bar Unit
- Trustee of the College Assistance Program of Dade County, Inc.
- Board Member of the Department of Community Participation of Dade County Schools
- Chairman of the South Dade Council of B’nai B’rith Outstanding Citizens Award Luncheon (600 attendees)
- Member of the School Management Board of Charles R. Drew Elementary School in Liberty City
- Past President of the University of Miami Citizen's Board
- Adjunct professor teaching partnership taxation at the Graduate Program in Estate Planning at the University of Miami School of Law
Awards and Recognition:
- Florida Commissioner of Education Business Recognition Award
- Florida Association of School Administrators Emblem Award
- University of Miami Citizen's Board Distinguished Service Award
- Dade County Public Schools Exemplary Dade Partner Award
- University of Miami Citizen's Board Joyce Galya Excellence Award