Carlos A. Garcia-Perez
Carlos A. Garcia-Perez is an experienced lawyer who has represented Fortune 500 companies across the Americas. As a partner at the Firm, he focuses in the areas of commercial litigation, policy, governmental regulation and administration practices related to infrastructure projects in Puerto Rico. Beyond that he also focuses on media, entertainment, and digital initiatives in Latin America.
At the behest of the Obama administration, and to fulfill a lifelong goal of serving his country, Mr. Garcia-Perez took a break from practicing law when he was appointed director of the Office of Cuba Broadcasting, better known as Radio and TV Martí, by President Barack Obama; a duty he carried out from November 2010 until December 2015. During his tenure, Mr. Garcia-Perez worked at the highest levels of government and he engaged regularly with The White House, Congress, the Department of Defense and the State Department, crafting policy for Latin America and utilizing Radio and TV Martí as an asset of foreign policy.
With over twenty years of experience practicing law, together with his work as a presidential appointee, Mr. Garcia-Perez effectively represents clients with a wide array of interests in the Americas.
Before his work in government, Mr. Garcia-Perez excelled as a trial lawyer for one of the most prestigious law firms in Puerto Rico, Goldman, Antonetti & Cordova. During his 20-year tenure at GA & C, he represented corporate clients based in the U.S. and across Latin America in complex, cross-border litigation. He collaborated closely with senior-level client executives to research, dissect, and understand matters involving contracts, service agreements, product liability, and employee relations.
NOTABLE CLIENT WORK
- Heavily involved in the representation of clients engaged in the restoration of Puerto Rico’s infrastructure after the damaged caused by hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017, and in the government’s initiatives to privatize certain operations.
- Represented Fortune 500 corporationsinvolved in short and long-term litigation. Emerged as a trusted trial lawyer with the ability to handle myriad types of cases.
- Handled a groundbreaking copyright case protecting interests and agreed-upon properties of a well-knownmusic label company against artists from Puerto Rico.
- Argued in favor of Mexico’s largest utility companyComisión Federal de Electricidad against a German-based conglomerate for breach of contract and product liability claims. Conducted due diligence on opposing company to craft the strategy for the case.
- Founder and Board Member of Six Media, Inc.
- Board member of the Cuban American National Foundation
- Member of the advisory board for CSA
- Colegio de Abogados de Puerto Rico
Broadcast, Entertainment and Digital Policy and Regulations in the US and Latin America
Franchise and Distribution Contracts